Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Should You Invite Children to Your Wedding?

Flower Girl photo courtesy of Jason Nelson
One of the biggest questions I received as an event planner was if a couple should invite children to their wedding.  This one issue has the potential to create so many hurt feelings if not handled properly.  Personally, I think children are a wonderful addition to a wedding.  Kids have a way of creating those wonderful unexpected moments that you and your guests will remember for years to come. I remember cringing in my seat at my cousin's wedding as my 4-year old daughter stood up when the priest asked if anyone in the congregation had anything to say.  She was the flower girl, so she was seated several rows in front of me, and I was unable to do anything to stop her.  I had no idea what was about to happen, but for a brief second I had visions of dying of embarassment while 200 people looked on. I thought of crawling under the pew to hide.  But then she slowly and clearly (and very loudly) said "I just want everyone to know that I love my cousin Amy and I love this boy she's marrying and I hope they have a nice wedding."  Needless to say there wasn't a dry eye in the church.  We all laughed and cried and it was a wonderful, special moment.  The bride and groom loved it, and even though my daughter is now a teenager, she'll forever be known as the flower girl who had something important to say.  But, not everyone appreciates the unscripted laughs a child might inspire in an otherwise completely scheduled event - yes, I'm looking at you Bridezillas! 

Read my latest article on Bridal Tweet for more information on inviting children to your wedding.  Tell me in the comments - are you inviting children to your wedding, or are you having an adults only reception?  How do you feel about the issue of children at weddings? 

No comments:

Post a Comment